Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Can she do it ALL?

So last night it was brought to my attention, through a text convo with my stylist, that I want to do a lot! I mean there are so many things I intend to do in my life that don't really blend. I can't make one plan or kill a bunch of birds with one stone or could I? The list is as follows:

1. Complete my Master's Degree (Maybe even a Doctorate)
2. Teach a few years
3. Write a book or two or three
4. Bake cookies/Cakes/Pies (For fun)
5. Learn to sew (for fun)
6. Blog
7. Have children
8. Start a meaningful business
9. Drop an album
10. Be LEGEN-DARY

Note: The sequential order of this list in no way constitutes the order in which these things will happen. I have no clue.

The question is, can I do it all? Have it all? BE it all? I don't really know, but I plan to try. Some times women get ridiculed for "doing too much". It's seems as though if we try to do more than be a wife or mother then we are asking too much. We can't have it all. If we choose more than the basic for our lives then something will be lacking. Obviously, to some, the area that will lack is that of family, but why does that have to be? Why is that common thought? I would say that this train of thought comes solely from men, but I can't. There are women who believe that they can only manage to be a wife/mother and in doing so they put off all of their hopes and dreams. In honor of Black History month I'll pose this question, what happens to a dream deferred? Really though.

Well, I have never been a woman with a one track mind. I have always wanted more than what was in front of me. For me it's not about proving something to others, it's about setting an example. It's about being great. I don't prescribe to societies ideal of what a woman should be. How she should act or look or speak.  Clearly I missed that boat and I think other women should lose their boarding passes as well. Life is meant to be lived and I want to do just that.

1 comment:

  1. You are most definitely RIGHT!!! Once I realized life was so much more than settling for what society has defined "what" occupations/achievements women can do, it expanded my dreams to the unthinkable. So, this list that you have developed....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

    ReplyDelete